October 16, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V735000
If the driver is not alerted when brake pads are worn out, the vehicle may not respond as expected when braking, increasing the risk of crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V735
Manufacturer Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, SERVICE BRAKES
Potential Number of Units Affected 44,128
Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (Porsche) is recalling certain 2017 Panamera 4, Panamera Turbo, Panamera Turbo Executive, 2017-2018 Panamera, Panamera 4S Executive, Panamera 4S, 2018 Panamera Turbo S Hybrid, Panamera 4 Hybrid Sport Turismo, Panamera 4 Sport Turismo, Panamera Turbo S Hybrid Sport Turismo, Panamera 4 Hybrid, Panamera 4 Executive, 2019 Cayenne Hybrid, 2019-2020 Cayenne, Cayenne S, Cayenne Turbo, 2020 Cayenne Coupe, Cayenne Turbo Coupe, and Cayenne S Coupe vehicles. The instrument cluster may not provide a visual warning when the brake pads are worn out. As a result, these vehicles fail to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 135, “Light vehicle brake systems.”
Porsche will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the instrument cluster, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin December 15, 2019. Owners may contact Porsche customer service at 1-800-767-7243. Porsche’s number for this recall is AKB8. Note: This recall supersedes recall 19V115 and includes vehicles that were previously remedied under that campaign.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
AKB8 Stop Delivery – Re-programming instrument cluster
Software programming error
The subject vehicles do not meet the requirements of S5.5.3 of FMVSS No. 135 because the brake wear warning indicator is not continually illuminated in the subject vehicles in all instrument cluster display menu sub-levels.
The instrument cluster must be re-programmed with updated software, to ensure the required display of worn-out brake pads.
- Battery charger with a current rating of at least 90 A and a current and voltage-controlled
charge map for lithium starter batteries, e.g. VAS 5908 – Battery charger 90A
- 9900 – PIWIS Tester 3 with PIWIS Tester test software version 38.750.025 (or higher)
For further information about the battery chargers to be used, see:
⇒ Workshop Manual ‘2706IN General information on the 12-volt lithium-ion battery‘
⇒ Workshop Manual ‘270689 Charging vehicle electrical system battery’
- Follow the safety instructions for control unit programming ⇒ Workshop Manual ‘9X00IN Basic instructions and procedure for control unit programming‘
- Connect a battery charger that is suitable for lithium starter batteries with a current rating of at least 90 A (e.g. VAS 5908 – Battery charger 90A) to the jump-start terminals in the engine compartment.
- Position the driver’s key in the rear area of the left cupholder in the centre console between the holding struts (emergency start tray) in order to guarantee a permanent radio link between the vehicle and driver’s key
- Switch on the ignition.
- 9900 – PIWIS Tester 3 must be connected to the vehicle communication module (VCI) via the cable. Then connect the communication module to the vehicle and switch on the PIWIS Tester.
- On the PIWIS Tester start screen, call up the ‘Diagnostics‘ application. The vehicle type is then read out, the diagnostic application starts and the control unit selection screen is populated.
Re-programming instrument cluster
1. For specific information on control unit programming during this campaign, see the table below:
The basic procedure for control unit programming is described in the Workshop Manual ⇒ Workshop Manual ‘9X00IN Basic instructions and procedure for control unit programming using the PIWIS Tester’.
|Required PIWIS Tester software version:||38.750.025 (or higher)|
|Type of control unit programming:||Control unit programming using the “Campaign” function in the Additional menu on the PIWIS Tester by entering a programming code.|
|Programming code:||Cayenne (9YA and 9YB): Y5L2W
Panamera (971): H9W3B
|Programming sequence:||Read and follow the information and instructions on the PIWIS Tester during the guided programming sequence.
The instrument cluster is re-programmed and then recoded automatically during the programming sequence.
Do not interrupt programming and coding.
|Programming time (approx.):||60 minutes|
|Software version programmed during this campaign:||Instrument cluster (Cayenne) 0907|
|Procedure in the event of abnormal termination of control unit programming:||Repeat control unit programming by entering the programming code again.|
|Procedure in the event of error messages appearing during the programming sequence:||⇒ Workshop Manual ‘9X00IN Basic instructions and procedure for control unit programming using the PIWIS Tester – section on “Fault finding”‘.|
- Read out and erase all fault memories.
1.1 In the control unit selection screen (‘Overview‘ menu), press F7 to call up the ‘Additionalmenu‘.
1.2 Select the function “Read all fault memories and erase if required” and press F12 (“Next”) to confirm your selection
1.3 Once you have read out the fault memories, check the fault memory entries.
If control units are found to have faults that are not caused by control unit programming, these must first be found and corrected. This work cannot be invoiced under the workshop campaign number.
1.4 Press F8 to delete fault memory entries..
1.5 Press F12 (“Yes”) in response to the question as to whether you really want to delete all fault memory entries. The faults stored in the fault memories of the various control units are deleted.
1.6 Switch off the ignition.
1.7 Disconnect the PIWIS Tester from the vehicle.
1.8 Switch off and disconnect the battery charger.
1.9 Enter the campaign in the Warranty and Maintenance booklet.
The values for the Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system may be lost during re-coding of the instrument cluster. If the Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system is reset, the wheel electronics must be re-taught and adapted to the system.
Preconditions and procedure for teaching the wheel electronics units:
- Vehicle is stationary for at least 5 minutes.
- Select the type of tires fitted (type and size) in the TPM menu in the PCM. The message “No monitoring. System is learning from 25 km/h or 15 mph” then appears in the multi-function display.
- Drive at a speed of more than 25 km/h (15 mph) – ideally without stopping – until the tire pressure values are displayed (learning time: less than 2 minutes)
The system learns the wheel electronics only while driving. Intermediate stops and deviations from the described teaching procedure can result in a much longer learning time.
Teaching can be performed during the test drive or later while the customer is driving. Please inform your customer about this if necessary.
Includes: Connecting and disconnecting battery charger Connecting and disconnecting PIWIS
Tester Reading out and erasing fault memory
Invoicing: Damage Code AKB8 99 000, Repair Code 1
Invoicing: Damage Code AKB8 99 000, Repair Code 1
AKB8 Stop Delivery – Re-programming instrument … I PPN Portal
AKB8 Stop Delivery – Reprogramming
10/16: Release of Stop Delivery Remedial Measure
Please find the remedy for Stop Delivery AKB8 attached. Repairs may begin immediately.
Please note that only instrument clusters with the following software versions can be reprogrammed:
Panamera (971) : 0254
Cayenne (9YA and 9YB): 08xx and 09xx
All other software versions will follow soon.
After the remedy has been performed, please submit the corresponding warranty claim for AKB8.
Page 1 of 4
AKB8 Stop Delivery – Re-programming instrument … I PPN Portal Page 2 of 4
As a reminder, Stop Deliveries are blocked by WWS from being punched until the warranty claim for the
repair has been submitted and accepted in WWS. This process may take up to 24 hours to complete.
> Stop Delivery
> Vehicle usage
AKBB Stop Delivery – Re-programming instrument cluster
Vehicles must not be delivered to customers until the required remedial measure has been carried out.
Therefore, please carry out the following Stop Delivery, immediately. Updates will be posted to this page in
Due to a software error, the subject vehicles do not meet the requirements of S5.5.3 of FMVSS No. 135
because the brake wear warning
indicator is not continually illuminated in the subject vehicles in all instrument cluster display menu sub-levels.
The instrument cluster must be re-programmed with updated software, to ensure the required display of
worn-out brake pads.
Number of affected vehicles
Cayenne (9YA and 9YB)
Between 09/09/2016 and 08/30/2019
AKB8 Stop Delivery – Re-programming instrument … I PPN Portal Page 3 of 4
The vehicles may only be driven for loading and unloading purposes in the transport chain.
Further use is not permitted. Test drives should not be performed.
Updates will be posted to this page in PPN.
AKB8 Stop Delivery Remedial Measure_PCNA.pdf
AKB8 VIN List.xlsx
Categories: Recalls, Cayenne, Panamera, Stop Sale Tags : 971 , 9ya, mj k, stop delivery, 9yb, akb8
Content and Topics Personal
Your Groups > View Profile >
Your Content > Edit Profile >
Your Places > Preferences >
Change Password >
Admin Console >
Blog Post >
AKB8 Stop Delivery – Re-programming instrument … I PPN Portal Page 4 of 4
Photo Album >
© 2019 Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. Legal
4 Affected Products
4 Associated Documents
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – announcement to dealers_PPN
Non-Compliance Notice 573 Report
Latest Recalls Documents
Recommended Pass Thru Devices:
Porsche is not responsible for any content on these two external sites
Pass Thru – Check ECU
Pass Thru – ECU Check verifies the vehicle compliance with the latest air polution restrictions of the following organisations:
Pass Thru – Check ECU checks the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) stored in the vehicles Digital Motor Electronic (ECU) against the PAG database.
Pass Thru – Check ECU is free of charge and does not require any login.
How to perform a Pass Thru – ECU Check:
- Enter the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
- In case of EPA offical enter the CVN ID.
- In case of CARB offical enter the Cal ID.
- Click the “CHECK ECU Version” button.
If the VIN is valid you see:
VIN IS VALID – User has the latest Update
How to find the VIN:
The VIN is labeled inside the windscreen at the bottom right side: see sample.
How to get the CVN ID / Cal ID:
CVN / Cal IDs can be retrieved with a generic scan tool device.
- VXDIAG VCX NANO Box is PC-to-vehicle interface compatible with multiple software applications, minimizing your investment in multiple brand-specific diagnostic interfaces
- VXDIAG VCX Nano for GM/OPEL compatible with GDS and Tech2win software, support for GM/OPEL Diagnose and programming,for programming function, you would need buy software subscription online
- Fully compatible with SAE-J2534-1 & SAE-J2534-2; Quick access to vehicle data for maintenance or management reports; Support all current and most legacy vehicle protocols: CAN, UART, KW2000, Class2, GM LAN, etc.
- About Software: Our hardware is compatible with original software and for SPS programming online you need purchase subscription online.
- Installation Tips: Tech2win software can only be installed on 32bit computer(win7 or win10 both ok) and please attention Tech2win software can not be installed on virtual machine, need install on physica system. For any technical problem, please feel free to contact us at any time, we have engineer can assist you online.
- TOP-LEVEL HEAVY TRUCK DIAGNOSIS: Want to diagnose different kinds of vehicles? Autel MaxiSysCV that comes with J2534 ECU Programming Device is the diagnostic tool you need! You can use comprehensive diagnostic functions including ECU Information, Trouble Codes, Live Data, Active Test, and Special services for Experts (Allison, Bendix, Caterpillar, Volvo, Freightliner, etc.), Buses (Volvo, Hino, Isuzu, Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, etc.) and even Trucks (Volvo, Dodge, Ford, Foton, Mack, etc.).
- CODING FOR OPTIMIZING PERFORMANCE: With Autel MS908CV, Optimizing vehicle performance is not that hard! The 100% safe ECU Coding allows you to change options within the vehicle’s ECU to modify features for the tested vehicle. Note: Coding only changes preprogrammed options already existent in the software. High Beams and Fog Lights Together Double Blink Hazards Digital Accurate MPH Gauge Enhanced Bluetooth Enable, etc.
- SERVICE FUNCTIONS FOR FAST MAINTENANCE: You can complete a series of scheduled services and maintenance with only one MaxiSysCV. Free from the trouble of changing basic OBD2 scanners frequently to get related services. The most commonly performed service functions include Oil Reset, EPB, Brake Bleeding, DPF & SCR, IMMO & Keys, Injector, Throttle and more.
- USER-FRIENDLY FEATURES FOR HIGH EFFICIENCY: No fuss with complex operations! The user-friendly MaxiSysCV diagnostic tool reduces your fatigue. AutoVIN Scan allows you to check all the ECUs of the tested car in less than 1 seconds. Remote Desk Operation offers workshops a channel of controlling customers’ MaxiSys tablets for immediate technical support. Data/Shop Manager reduces the time spent on managing diagnostic files, workshop information, and more.
- POINTS FOR AFTER SERVICES: 1.About Quality: Autel MaxiSysCV is designed with advanced configuration (Android4.0 OS, Samsung Exynos 4-Core Processor, etc.) for smooth and reliable using. 2.About Warranty & Update: Within one year, Products with defectives in material or workmanship will be repaired or replaced free of charge and It’s free to update the software at regular intervals to increase MS908CV’s capabilities. 3. About Service: Autel is ready to answer any questions 7* 24 hours.
- ECU PROGRAMMING: This Diagnostic scanner comes with a SAE J2534-1 & -2 compliant PassThru reprogramming interface device which allows you to use the updated OEM software to replace the existing software/firmware in ECUs, programming new ECUs for Benz/BMW and fixing software-controlled drivability issues and emission issues. We welcome you to contact [email protected] or ask through Q/A for your specific need.
- SUPERIOR HARDWARE: The Maxicom MK908P is a upgraded version of the Maxisys Ms908P/Pro,it with Android4.4 based system amd super-fast hexa-core Processor, 2GM RAM, 64GB On-board Memory, 8.0 Megapixel rear cam, ultra-clear 10.1 inches LED screen etc.
- COMPREHENSIVE FUNCTIONS: Autel MaxiCOM MK908P performs the same function as Autel Maxisys Elite, Autel MS908S PRO, MS908E, and provide better price. this superior diagnostic device is awarded as the Best Vehicle Diagnostic Tool in Britain.12-month free updates，basic functions could still be used without updates.
- WIDE VEHICLE COVERAGE: Extensive OE-Level vehicle coverage for more than 80 US, Asian and European vehicle makes.It’s an ultimate car scanner for DIYers, experienced mechanics, even garage to finish professional-level vehicle repair and maintenance. To check compatibility, contact [email protected] or ask through Q/A, we will reply you in time.
- Multi-ADD ONS:This Autel Scanner could connect the Oscilloscope-MaxiScope MP408 and Digital Inspection Cameras for vehicle’s electronic test or get the sight in the tight spaces. We offer you a free ArtiBattery101, making you easily get the Battery Test Results. This car battery Tester is recommended by Soctty Kilmer and BestReviews. It can directly detect the battery data and give suggestions on whether to replace the battery. It also has cranking test and charging system test.
- The diagnostic tool comes with a J2534 ECU programming device that helps Benz and BMW users replace the existing software/firmware in the ECU, program new ECUs and fix software-controlled driving performance and emission issues.
- The software of MK908P has a wide range of compatibility and can be used to diagnose vehicles from over 80 brands in the US, Europe and Asia. Moreover, you can get more newly added car models with the fast-release software update service.
- MK908P, as the advanced version of MS908P,MS908S,MS908E, MS908PS PRO, features the 10.1” 1920*1200 screen upgraded from 9.7” 1024*768, and the battery capacity is 15000mAh increased by 4000 mA. Also, it has a better anti-impact protection design.
- The diagnostic tool supports bi-direction control to check the vehicle operating conditions. The bi-directional control of the ECM in Component Test enables the MK908P to transmit control commands to operate the vehicle systems.
- The MaxiFix provides you with an online troubleshooter database, and Remote Desk allows you to get help from others via TeamViewer software.
- ECU CODING & PROGRAMMING: Worked with J2534 Pass-thru device, MaxiSys Elite is capable of ECU programming for Benz and BMW.
- EXTENSIVE COVERAGE: Available for over 80 1996 US-based, 2000 European-based and newer OBD2 protocol vehicles with full OBD functions, 11 reset functions and full systems diagnoses
- EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE: Worked with MaxiScope basic kit MP408, MaxiSys Elite provides users with an insight to the inner workings of a vehicle's electronic circuits
- TECHNICAL SUPPORT: Remote Tech Support for real-time software update notifications via internet. Interactive Data Logging Sessions for direct contact with Autel. One-stop multitasking for ideal management of data
- THOUGHTFUL DESIGNS: MaxiSys Elite is with rubberized outer protection and a rugged internal housing. MP408 features color coded 4-channel control panel and one-click auto setup of voltage scale and time base
- 【Advanced IMMO & Key Programming】Autel IM608 is a perfect choice for auto technicians and locksmiths to encrypt keys, add keys, change keys, and generate keys. The Smart Mode and Expert Mode in IMMO app offer you guided and advanced Key Learning to choose. The Autel scanner can also read/write various key chips helping perform complete key programming quickly. Note: IM608 just can be used in the US. Don’t take it to other countries or change the IP.
- 【ECU Coding & Active Test】Active Test helps you accurately figure out whether a specific subsystem or component in vehicles goes well. This function may appear as Actuators, Actuator Test, or Function Tests, and the tests options vary by vehicle manufacturer and model. After repairs or replacements of vehicle parts, Autel IM608 can reprogram adaptive data for certain components of the test vehicle through ECU Coding.
- 【Reliable Key & ECU Programming Tools】 Equipped with XP400 key programmer and MaxiFlash ECU reprogrammer, this Autel scanner performs IMMO Add Key, All Key Lost and Key Learning for 3rd generation Benz. Besides convenient PC communication and ECU reprogramming capabilities from the MaxiFlash tool, it can read transponder data (including Mercedes Benz infrared smart key), clone/generate exclusive keys, etc. by working with the XP400 key programmer.
- 【Language & Wide Compatibility】When you get this Autel scanner, it only supports English. You can get the required language by providing the serial number for customer service via [email protected] Compatible with more than 80 makes and models from the US, Asian and European, the Autel IM608 can perform OE-Level all-system diagnostics for Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GM, Jeep, etc.
- 【12-Month Free Update & Warranty】Autel IM608 comes with a 1-year free update online to improve the apps’ capabilities by adding critical patches, new models, etc. When the 1-year update expires, it will cost $1250 per year to continue updating. A 12-month warranty gives you a guarantee for any possible quality problems. For any question, feel free to ask the customer service.
- SUPPORTED MODELS - Compatible All 1998-2018 TOYOTA/LEXUS/SCION vehicles,For few functions on few old cars(such as before 2005),We recommend to use firmware V2.0.4 cable
- ADVANCED ECU CODING Exceptional OE-Level functionality from comprehensive OBDII diagnostics & services to advanced ECU coding and programming working with a SAE J2534-1 & -2 compliant vehicle programming pass-thru interface
- EXTENSIVE VEHICLE COVERAGE; The most extensive complete system coverage for more than 80 US domestic, Asian and European makes and models
- AUTOMATIC SYSTEM Automatic system and software updates with real-time push message notifications via internet with instant remote control tech support anytime, anywhere and interactive Data Logging sessions enable direct contact with Autel
- ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS Support for first-hand troubleshooting of diagnostic bugs and errors, and one-stop multitasking designed for ideal management of workshop operations to keep all data files, customer info, and vehicle records well organized
- UNIQUE ERGONOMIC DESIGN; with rubberized outer protection and a rugged internal housing
- VCX is designed on the basis of the latest automotive international standards so that it can support many professional automotive diagnostic applications
- WIFI Version VXDIAG VCX Nano compatible for TOYOTA and Lexus, support both USB connection and WIFI connection, support latest version software, Compatible with varieties protocols. can be very easy to connect various automotive bus to a PC
- OS support both WINDOWS XP and Windows 7, Software support multi-languages: Chinese, English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, ec
- Small size, easy to carry and convenient for us
- One year warranty
Last update on 2020-01-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-01-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API